4/16/11

Carbs

As we sat in the restaurant at the Bright Angel Lodge, I was trying to shovel in a pile of spaghetti and meatballs. I remember hearing about how marathon runners "carbo load" the night before a race. I assumed it would help me as well. It was well after dark when we made our way back to our second floor room at the Maswik Lodge. Nothing fancy. Just a couple of beds, a bathroom and two oscillating fans. Since Kenny and I had rented our backpacks, we didn't have the luxury of packing at home. Being new to the whole backpacking scene, I've yet to figure out how to efficiently and orderly pack all that I think I need. Most of the evening was spent packing and unpacking, putting the pack on, adjusting straps, removing things deemed unnecessary, and repeating the process. We were concerned about carrying too much weight and it seemed like anything we took out failed to lighten the load. I think it was close to midnight (2am cdt) when we finally got to bed. We had been awake almost two days and it was starting to show. I checked the weather forecast (once again) and tried to get some sleep.Morning was quickly approaching.

No comments: