8/24/12

Under the influence...

History repeats itself. This phrase has been floating around my head this week. Last weekend, I watched the mini series Hatfield's & McCoy's. I really liked it while it was terribly disturbing at the same time.

As I was drawn in, the hate was almost unimaginable. Watching the cold blooded murders take place with hardly a second thought seemed barbaric and foreign, although the knee jerk reaction to seek vengeance at the first sign of being wronged is not something that is foreign to me. That is understandably human. I think the most disturbing part was the way the main characters quoted scripture from the bible. These guys obviously knew the correct words to say, but apparently it never made it past their shoulders. This is very dangerous and this is the thing that gave me a shudder.

Merely knowing what the bible says means nothing without God regenerating the heart. We see this in Jesus' interaction with religious people in the bible. His strongest words of correction (and condemnation) were pointed at the religious elite of the day; those who think their acceptance by God is based on their ability to seemingly keep the rules. This mentality leads to massive self righteousness and without revelation from God, goes undetected by the person under its influence. Unfortunately we are all guilty of this. I continually find myself realizing this is the lens through which I see the world.

Oh, the part about history repeating itself? I'm not quite ready to open that can. Yet.


Matthew 23:28- "So you also outwardly appear righteous to others, but within you are full of hypocrisy and lawlessness."

8/27/12
Addendum-
After thinking about this for a few days, I probably should just keep my thoughts to myself. I am so good at finding everyone else's issues in hindsight. Such a fool I still am....

No comments: